3.16.2014

Rio Chicken (and DIY Ranch Mix)






I first found the recipe for 'Cafe Rio' Chicken here and thought it sounded really good. I guess it's a copycat recipe from an actual restaurant but I've never tried the real thing so I don't know how it compares. The first time I made this chicken I followed the original recipe exactly. It was good but, in our opinion, it had too much garlic and the spices needed a little tweaking. Below you'll find our version of Crock Pot Rio Chicken. It's a family favorite around here (you know I don't post a recipe unless it is!) and I hope you'll enjoy it as well!


Rio Chicken
adapted from life in the lofthouse

Ingredients: 
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup zesty Italian dressing
2 T homemade ranch mix (see below for recipe) OR one (1 oz) packet ranch dressing mix
1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp  ground cumin
Instructions:
Place the chicken in a crock pot. Pour the zesty Italian dressing over the chicken.
Mix the dry ingredients together with the 1/2 cup of water and pour over the chicken.
Cook on High 5-6 hours OR on Low 8 hours or til chicken is tender and falling apart.
Shred with fork and serve in salads, burritos, tacos, casseroles, on tostadas, nachos... etc



Notes:
This is a great freezer friendly recipe! Once you've cooked and shredded the chicken, let it cool then place in large freezer bags. I freeze bags flat to save room and to speed up the thawing process later. Try making this chicken next time you want to take a meal to someone! I like to give them the option of eating it right away or freezing it for later. Just prep the chicken and label the bag as if it were going in the freezer then let your friend know it's ready to eat or freeze. 

DIY Ranch Mix

    2 Tablespoons dried parsley
    1 teaspoon garlic powder         
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix the above ingredients together and store in a labeled jar.
I use 2-3 tablespoons of this  DIY Ranch Mix in place of one packet of Ranch dressing mix from the store. Try substituting this mix when you try my {Crock} Pot Roast  or Beef and Gravy Roast.

1 comment:

  1. You have NO idea how excited I am that you posted this!!!! AHHHHH best chicken in the WORLD!

    ReplyDelete