2.04.2014

Perfect Banana Muffins

Do you want perfectly spiced, perfectly sweetened, perfectly fluffy, perfectly melt-in-your-mouth banana muffins? Then you'll want to try this recipe. I promise I don't flippantly throw around the word "perfect." (You may remember my Perfect Apple Muffin post.) It's just that once you've found THE recipe you love the best and make time and time again you realize that it is indeed perfect for you. So when I'm needing a banana muffin fix and/or need to restock my freezer stash - this is it!
On the other hand, if I want to make loaves of banana bread I always use Great-Grandma's recipe. It's a texture thing. Both delicious. Give them a try and let me know what you think!


Perfect Banana Muffins
adapted from thecookbookchronicles

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4  cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large over-ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350*. Grease muffin cups or line with liners. 
In a bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oil, brown sugar, and white sugar. Add in the vanilla, mashed bananas, sour cream, and eggs and mix well.
Stir in the dry ingredients just until combined. 
Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full.  
Bake at 350* for approximately 20-25 minutes.  
Allow the muffins to cool slightly before moving to wire cooling rack.

Notes:
  • Plain yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream.
  • I occasionally sprinkle chopped nuts or cinnamon sugar over the batter before baking.
  • Did you know you can freeze bananas in their peels? Once my bananas start to get a few spots on them I throw them in the freezer. The day I'm ready to bake I just pull them out and thaw them in their peels. Then I cut off the end and squeeze the browned banana out into my mixing bowl. So easy! No more browning bananas on my counter tops attracting fruit flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment