10.15.2012

Cottage Cheese Bread


 Cottage Cheese Bread is my new favorite homemade bread recipe. It is so quick and easy to throw together and takes little to no thought. I LOVE that I don't have to worry about kneading it!
This recipe yields one gorgeous loaf of homemade bread and I always double it! One loaf disappears very quickly in our house. Consider making this bread next time you're taking a meal to someone. 
Nothing says you care more than a beautifully browned loaf of homemade bread.
**update** I use this recipe to make pull-apart rolls AND cinnamon bread as well!
Doubling the recipe will yield a gorgeous big loaf of bread, a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread and a small round pan of pull-apart rolls.

Cottage Cheese Bread
  recipe from chocolateandchillies 
who got it from bakingandcreatingwithavril 
who discovered it on ourtreasuredhome
Hey, when you find a great recipe...always spread the love!
Ingredients:
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (1 packet)
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup cottage cheese, pureed (*see update)
 1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions:
Add the yeast to the warm water.  Give a quick stir to dissolve.
Puree your cottage cheese. Some folks use an immersion blender. I used my manual food processor.

In a small saucepan over medium heat add the pureed cottage cheese and butter.  Occasionally stir until butter is melted.  Remove from heat.  Add sugar, salt, baking soda and egg.  Mix well.  Add the yeast mixture and mix well.  Pour this mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.  Add the flour and mix on low until a dough has formed. (No kneading! This is my kind of bread recipe!)

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. I use a large cutting board or a cookie sheet. Fold over several times.  Leave the dough right on the floured surface and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to rise until doubled in size (45-60 minutes).



 Meanwhile grease a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan.

Once the dough has risen, fold over a couple of times and place in the prepared loaf pan.  Cover with the kitchen towel and allow to double in size.

Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. 
Brush with melted butter while it's still warm.

***UPDATE***
I baked this bread recently and skipped pureeing the cottage cheese.
(there's only so much you should attempt with a baby on your hip and a 3 year old hanging on your leg) I'm glad I was out of time and patience so that I could find out that the pureeing isn't mandatory! The bread still turned out beautifully! I hope to hear from those of you who try this recipe.
You won't regret it!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment